Frequently Asked Questions

Can I go for a test sail?

Yes, a test sail is an important part of the buying process. This is done once a formal Offer to Purchase has been presented and accepted by the seller.

Who skippers the vessel on the sea trial?

The owner of the boat or his skipper of choice.

Are the boats sold with their moorings?

Yes & no. The mooring, if for sale, is generally sold separately. This is, in part, due to certain sailing club regulations.

Should I insure my boat?

In our opinion, definitely. The highest risk to your vessel is on its mooring!

Is it necessary to buy a mooring?

No. As long as you are a member of a club you should be able to hire moorings from the club/owner when they become available.

How often does my vessel need to have it seaworthy/certificate of fitness (COF) renewed?

This exercise is required once every 12 months. Most clubs have a member that is authorized to do the inspection and issue the certificate. SAMSA offers this service as well.

How often will my vessel need to be taken out of the water for a service/antifouling?

She should be slipped at least once a year for a thorough service. This should, at the very least, include the following: Antifouling, anodes and servicing of the seacock’s.

How do I find a surveyor?

In the event that you require assistance in this regard we will present you with a list of surveyors to choose from.

Do I require a skippers ticket to sail in South African waters?

Yes you do require a skipper’s ticket. We can recommend various companies who will assist you in this regard.

How much time does a sea trial take?

From leaving the key side, a typical sea trial will take 1 to 2 hours.

Do I need to be a member of a sailing club to be able to moor my vessel for a period of time?

Most clubs have moorings available for visiting vessels. The time that you can stay on the mooring varies from club to club. In the event that you wish to permanently moor your vessel in a particular location, it will be required of you to become a member.

Does a particular size/design boat need a particular type of mooring?

The moorings are categorized as follows A,B,C & D. The smallest vessels being suitable for A moorings and the largest being D moorings. This goes one step further as sailing catamarans generally require an extra wide mooring, alternatively a double mooring.

How do I go about the process of exporting/clearing customs with my vessel?

This is quite a process!! In short you will need to deal with the following entities. SAMSA, SARS, Customs etc, etc, etc. Please feel free to contact us to discuss further.

Contact Us

Contact Form